Monday, July 16, 2007

closings

This year, I've had to rearrange somewhat where and when to do some research. No big deal for me, but it could have been a bit of a disaster if I hadn't looked a few things up.

Point 1 - my state archives and genealogy library were closed for almost two months this year due to renovations. I did not know this. Luckily, I hadn't tried to visit them, but I had just found their blogs and learned that they were closed. Since the archives are still undergoing renovations, I check in every now and then to see how it's going. Good thing I checked this past Friday, as I was going to go the library section on Saturday and found out that the entire building was to be closed due to continuing renovation work.

Point 2 - I am heading for Georgia in late August and pulled up the local library that I always visit. Found out that a portion of the library - including the genealogy section - is to be unavailable for the next several weeks due to renovations. It looks like they will be finished before my trip, but it is something to keep an eye on in case the work overruns into my trip timetable and then I can make plans to visit another library.

Just about every public county library has a website. Use google to find them and hopefully you won't run into a closed library.

No comments: