Wednesday, August 22, 2007

More Getting Personals

Well, I now have a death date for Edward (referencing my previous entry). The notice that I found did not state where he was buried, just that a former resident had died. So I still had my work cut out for me.

I still did not have any burial information on Edward, his two wives, or any of his three children. By his first wife, he had two daughters. Mary died as an infant, and Julia was still listed on the 1930 census. He had a son by his second wife, and I had not yet been able to find a death date for him either.

I had Julia's death date. Rather than relying on the search feature on the digital newspaper database, I went to read each day's scans starting with the day she died. I found her obituary - not certain why a search didn't pick it up. Although it did not state where she was buried, it did verify her mother's birth surname, the name of an aunt (one of the sisters I was searching for in my previous entry) and listed her half-brother, Samuel, as a survivor. I knew that he was still alive in the 1940s because he was included in the WWII 'old man's' draft in 1942, but it was nice to know that the two were in touch with each other.

I was able to finally locate an obituary for Samuel - AND it listed where he was buried. Which, when I thought about it, made a lot of sense. It is in an area where he and his father Edward were living just prior to Edward's death, and I am really hoping that this is where I might find Edward's and his wives' burials. It is now on my list of cemeteries to visit on my next trip.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello to every single one, it's genuinely a good for me to pay a quick visit this website, it contains valuable Information.
My blog post ; seo dienstleistungen