Saturday, October 06, 2007

They're Here

My grandmother's paternal line is from England. They came over from England when her father was just a boy. As far as I knew, no one else from that family ever made it to the US.

Some time ago, I ran across some notes I jotted down while talking to my aunt a number of years ago. She had said that some of the mother's relatives had also come to the US and gave me some first names. I had also written down 'Whitaker' beside those names and had thought that that was their last name. When I again found this note, I realized that she had been talking about a section of where they lived. I used the family name to find these people, and there they were - living in Whitaker.

So now the task is to find out more about them.

Along the way, I found that one more from that family made it across the Atlantic. They eventually settled near Richmond VA, an area that I have never researched. For a while, I looked up online resources, checked books in my local state genealogy library, and kept tabs on the Rootsweb message boards. I was finally able to find a funeral home reference for one of them, and I was off. It gave me her cemetery, which led to me asking around about this cemetery, which led to someone in the area actually looking up everyone who was buried in the same plot with her.

And you know, the really neat part about it all is that someone else is getting so much more out of this than me. When I first found that this family (George and Flora) had come to the US, I searched Rootsweb archives postings to see if anyone else was looking for the same family. I found one, halfway across the world - George is in my family line and Flora was in hers. Thing is, when her ancestor left England, he never returned and was never able to find any trace of the family in later years. He died not knowing that his father and siblings had left England shortly after he did.

And hopefully, sometime in the next few months, I'll be able to visit the cemetery and take pictures, and she'll finally have some closure on that missing section of her family.

1 comment:

Cathy said...

Hi, I would like to print family trees for a reunion. Could you please recommend a stand-alone program I can buy that provides ease and flexibility for printing tree charts.