Friday, June 03, 2005

Etiquette

So you're at a cemetery walking around, taking notes and pictures of headstones, and then you notice a whole line of cars heading right towards you. It's a funeral procession. What do you do?

I had that happen to me a bit ago when I was looking around an extremely large cemetery. It was a first time for me. It startled me in that I hadn't realized what was going on as the cars were driving behind me. I was reading some flat headstones and hadn't noticed the traffic until I stood up. Bear had gone to get the car that was parked just a little ways down one of the roads, and he was held up with the traffic. So I stopped what I was doing and walked a short ways away so that the line of cars wouldn't be looking at my abundant backside.

All the cars had these little window flags, like they had all come from a service and were given these flags so that traffic would know that they were all together. Some guy, probably from the cemetery office, was collecting the flags as the cars drove by, and my, he was in a good mood. He was greeting people, saying 'hi there' and asking how they were doing and such, and I'm thinking that is such an odd thing to be remarking to people who are AT A FUNERAL.

Finally, the line of cars came to an end, and Bear picked me up.

No comments: