Friday, May 27, 2005

Walk on

I love visiting cemeteries in my search for relations and extended families.

But there's one thing that always bothers me - walking across the cemetery. I try to not walk across where I think people are actually buried but sometimes it's just not feasible or possible to avoid doing so. There are times when I am not absolutely certain on which side of the marker a person is actually buried. It's not always apparent. I take close-up pictures of headstones and markers so I know that I am probably standing on top of someone.

And I probably shouldn't be greatly concerned about walking across graves because, well, they're dead. But it's the appearance of doing so - it's like it's disrespectful. I steer clear of plots that have obvious recent burials because that would be really rude.

So I tread carefully and take the long way around and try not to worry too much that I might cross over someone's final resting place by accident.

No comments: